Saddleworth Clarion Cycling Cub : Wednesday Night MTB Ride
Saddleworth Clarion has an active bunch of mountain bikers and the Wednesday night rides have been a central activity of the club since it started. Mountain biking is a great way to improve your bike skills, get fit and explore the local area and further afield away from the tarmac.
Locally we have a great selection of terrain to ride and the regulars like to think that they know all the best bits – they don’t of course and new route suggestions are always welcome. Newcomers will always be welcome but please try and let us know if you are going to turn up for the regular Wednesday Night Ride just in case of the unusual situation that no one can make it!
If your are interested in doing events there are a massive number to go at ranging from high speed lung busting traditional cross country racing to the popular marathon style rides. Keep an eye on the calendar for these or check out the following link for a good listing.
Wednesday Night Rides often finish at a local pub, usually meeting up with the road ride in the summer months (The Wellington in Greenfield). Make sure you bring some cash!
Hints and Tips
- Wear a helmet – try and make sure its not too old
- Bring spare clothes – obviously this depends on the weather but what seems nice in the valleys might just be cold and horrible in the hills. Make sure you at least bring a waterproof/windproof jacket. Arm warmers and leg warmers are really useful and don’t take up much pack room. In winter you may well need all the bike clothing you own just to keep warm!
- Tools and spares – please bring as a minimum a tube, pump and multi-tool. Don’t rely on others as they might not have what you want. Chain tool, shock pump and repair kit are all useful especially if you are heading out on a longer ride.
- Food and drinks – make sure you carry both. Most of the rides don’t go near shops and the evening rides can cover up to 15-20 mile.
- Hydration packs – these are very useful and make it easy to carry the stuff you need.
- Fitness – Mountain biking is great way to all round fitness but don’t go beyond your limits. If the ride is too fast or too hard or simply that you’re not feeling good just let the others know.
- Bike condition – make sure your bike is fit for riding. Make sure your brake pads have life left in them, your chain is lubed and the tyres are pumped up.
Uppermill, Oldham (map)
Meet at the Cyclery for two hours of XC
Night lights a must