Manchester Friends of the Earth is fuelled by volunteer energy.
By getting involved in the group, you become part of a wider movement in which more and more people are seeing the need for change and taking action to make it happen.
Local campaigners actively shape their city for the better. Effective campaigning can challenge the unsustainable use of the world’s resources, give people opportunities to make positive changes, and reduce unjust impacts on communities now and in the future.
Campaigning is fun, sociable and rewarding. It’s also a great way to meet people, learn new skills and make a contribution to society.
How can I get involved?
You are very welcome to come along to one of our meetings to find out more about what we do, or simply get in contact. Our full group meetings are good for finding out about our activities generally, and specific campaign meetings are a good starting point if you know what you’re interested in campaigning on.
Our meetings are shown on our events calendar. All the meetings on our calendar are open to all. You do not need to be a member.
What do campaigners do?
Just some of the things that our active campaigners do:
- Helping out at events, talking to members of the public about environmental issues
- Writing material for this website
- Meeting Members of Parliament (MPs) to encourage them to support local and national campaigns
- Organising events, including gigs and public debates
- Writing and producing our newsletter
- Planning and running campaigns
- Researching and writing responses to local consultations (e.g. Manchester’s climate change policy)
- Representing the group at consultation events
Some members take on positions, such as coordinator, treasurer, membership officer or lead campaigners. If you’re interested in this, have a look at the role descriptions and get in touch.
What can you expect from a meeting?
Our meetings are listed on our calendar. Full group meetings take place on the second Tuesday of each month and often have a particular focus such as planning for an event, sharing skills or debating issues.
Each campaign has a separate meeting once a month, which focuses on current issues and activities relating to that campaign. We might plan an event, discuss how to respond to a consultation, or co-ordinate MP lobbying. All our meetings are fairly relaxed and we make sure we have tea, coffee and snacks to hand. The meetings are chaired to make sure that everyone can input. After our meetings we usually go to a nearby pub to talk more informally.
We also have social events throughout the year.
For more information about our meetings, please contact:
- Full group meetings – Cat Thomson
- Nature campaign – Colette Humphrey
- Climate campaign – Ali Abbas
- Food campaign – Cat Thomson
- Transport campaign – Graeme Sherriff