About Manchester FoE
Manchester Friends of the Earth is an award-winning environmental group, creatively campaigning on local, national and international issues. We are fueled by volunteer energy and funded by membership subscriptions and donations.
We work on a diverse range of issues including food, sustainable transport, climate change, biodiversity, air quality, divestment and waste. We want to see Greater Manchester taking a lead on these important issues.
(download membership flyer)
Our activities include:
- holding stalls at community events
- using social media to get people involved
- lobbying Members of Parliament and other decision makers
- organising events, such as public debates and fundraising gigs
- engaging with businesses and local authorities
- commenting on environmental and social issues in the press and media
- responding to relevant consultations
- working with other groups on joint campaigns
Get Involved – Join in a media stunt, lobby your MP, come along to one of our events. See our calendar for details of forthcoming activities.
An Award-winning Organisation
We have received a range of recognition for our campaigns:
- ‘Green Futures’ for Love Your Bike
Be Proud Love Manchester Awards, 2011
- ‘Friend of the Earth’ for active Manchester member Ali Abbas
Friends of the Earth, national Earthmover Award 2010
- ‘Campaign of the Year’ for Clean Air Now
Friends of the Earth, national Earthmover Award 2009
- ‘Communicating Powerfully’ for Love Your Bike
Friends of the Earth, national Earthmover Award 2006
- ‘Inspirational Voice‘ for the Longsight Transport Project
Friends of the Earth, national Earthmover Award 2004
- ‘Best Integrated Campaign under £100k’ Love Your Bike
Green Awards 2006
A National and International Network
Manchester Friends of the Earth is affiliated to Friends of the Earth England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which is:
- Part of Friends of the Earth International largest international network of environmental groups in the world, represented in 68 countries.
- One of the leading environmental pressure groups in the UK.
- A unique network of campaigning local groups, working in over 200 communities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Largely funded by our supporters. Over 90 per cent of income is from individual donations, the rest from special fundraising events, grants and trading.
In 2012, Friends of the Earth celebrated it’s 40th birthday. This video documents the organisation’s campaigns over this period:
If you are looking to get involved but live outside Manchester, you may also be interested in what is happening in other Greater Manchester areas, including these local groups:
For other groups around the UK, please visit the national Friends of the Earth website.
(Page last updated 29th July, 2018 12:34)