In August, if you have a vegetable plot in your garden, or are fortunate to have an allotment, you may have courgette plants that just won’t stop fruiting! Abigail Herron shows us how to deal with surplus courgettes and have a refreshing light lunch too. Serves 2.
• Olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 150 g potatoes, diced
• 225 g courgettes, diced or coarsely grated
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 600 ml vegetable stock
• 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Fresh coriander, to garnish
To make the soup
• Place a pan on the heat and add the onion and crushed garlic cloves.
• Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onion has softened, but not browned.
• Add the potatoes, courgettes and ground coriander, and cook for a further 2–3 minutes.
• Add the vegetable stock and soy sauce, and bring to the boil.
• Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes, until the potatoes have broken down.
• Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and ladle into two warmed soup bowls.
• Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve.