Here is a recipe for black bean burgers from Veganomicon, care of Cat, and guaranteed not to contain any nasty surprises!
- 2 cups cooked/1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chilli powder, or to taste!
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ small onion, grated
- Olive oil to cook
- Wholewheat buns
- Mash the beans with a fork in a mixing bowl—don’t overdo it, you should have some half beans left! Add the breadcrumbs, chilli, cumin, water, tomato paste, coriander, garlic and onion. Mix everything together with a fork and then knead with your hands until the mixture is firm and uniformly mixed (about a minute).
- Divide the mixture into six equal pieces and roll each into a firm ball. Use your palm to press the ball down onto a clean surface to form a patty that is about ½ inch thick.
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Pour a thin layer of oil into the pan and cook the patties for five minutes on each side. Gently but firmly press down on them with a spatula. When cooked, the patties will be very firm when you press down on them.
- Serve on the warm buns with salad and the sauces of your choice—and perhaps a little horseradish mayonnaise!