- 250g plain white flour
- 250g plain wholemeal flour
- 100g oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g margarine
- 250ml soy milk
- 250ml rapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Mix the flour, oats, salt and bicarbonate of soda together in a mixing bowl.
- Rub the margarine into the dry ingredients with your fingers until there are no lumps of margarine left.
- Pour in the soy milk and rapeseed oil, mixing them in quickly using a palette knife. Then bring the mixture together with your fingers with the minimum of handling.
- Shape the mixture into a flat-bottomed loaf about 20cm in diameter.
- Place the loaf on a baking sheet and cut across the top in both directions to make it cook through evenly (don’t cut too deep, though, as this may lead to the loaf breaking up).
- Bake for 35 minutes, after which the surface of the loaf should be dry to the touch and sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a wire rack under a tea towel to stop the soda bread drying out.