Dutch-style Cakes (as eaten on the 31 May ‘Time to Go Dutch’ Bike Friday)
- 200 g plain flour, sifted
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons almond meal or more flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 225 ml water
- 2 apples, thinly sliced into wedges
- Extra sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place ingredients in a large bowl, except the apples, extra sugar and cinnamon.
- Beat well with a whisk or electric beater.
- Divide the mixture among cupcake pans.
- Gently place three apple wedges onto the top of the mixture.
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar and cinnamon on the apple and bake for 15–20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Makes 12 cupcakes