An introduction to the legal right to a healthy environment (Friends of the Earth)
When we breathe dirty air, eat food grown in toxic soils, spend our time indoors to escape pollution, and swim in or water our crops with water filled with sewage, it impacts our health.
And if the environment around us is in declining health itself – if trees are being cut down, pollinators are in decline, soils and waters are leached of nutrients and loaded with pollutants – then the risks to all of us are only going to get bigger. But existing protections are too weak, and too poorly enforced, to fix this. And when companies and decision makers pollute the places we live, it can be hard to fight back.
Around the world, more and more countries are trying to address this problem by making the right to a healthy environment part of their national law, in the same way as other human rights. How will this help? Find out at this free webinar, where we’ll present the latest thinking from our lawyers and campaigners on how making a healthy environment a legal right could give people the tools they need to protect themselves and the environment we live in.
Learn how a new Environmental Rights Act could help ensure all future legislation better supports people and nature, improve the ways that public bodies implement these laws, and give communities the ability to fight back against environmental harm.
Register your (free) place via Eventbrite.
Who is this training/course for?
- Local Action Groups
- Groups working on local environmental harms like water and air pollution
- Groups engaged in our Planet over Profit campaign – this session will give an overview of other public activity on nature and justice planned for spring.
- Find out how we can use a human rights approach to make a practical difference to the environment
- Get an overview of our proposal for a new Environmental Rights Act
- Get a sneak peek into our plans for public activity around nature and justice this spring and summer
- Hear insight from the Friends of the Earth legal team
– Kierra Box, Lewis Carr, Rachel O’Connell (campaigns team)
– Will Rundle (legal team) (TBC)
Accessibility: During this webinar we will use Zoom and Powerpoint.
In addition we have the follow processes in place to support accessibility
- Closed Captions on zoom
- If you require a palantypist or a BSL interpreter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks before the training and we will aim to book an expert this service. If there are no available palantypists or BSL interpreters, we will work with you to do whatever we can to support your engagement in the training.
- All PowerPoint presentations have ALT text for images and pictures
- PowerPoints and handouts will be emailed prior to training for use with screen readers
- We welcome carers and support workers to attend training alongside any participants. Please let us know when registering so we can ensure that you are paired in any breakout rooms etc.
Please let us know via the booking form if you have any other accessibility requirements or alternatively you can email us on email@example.com to talk to us about it.
Recording: We will record this event, so even if you can’t attend, you can register to receive this shortly after.
|Tuesday 26 Mar 2024 7:00pm
|Tuesday 26 Mar 2024 8:30pm
|Friends of the Earth