THE OIL HEIST OF THE CENTURY – Journey around the world in search for truth and accountability
Global Witness in collaboration with Skoll invites you on a virtual journey around the world telling the story of one of the biggest corporate corruption cases in history.
Shell and the Italian oil company Eni knew their billion dollar payment for Nigeria’s valuable OPL 245 oil block was not going into the public purse, but would fill the pockets of a convicted money launderer and then might fund a vast alleged bribery scheme. The companies insist the deal was legal, have claimed they are innocent of any wrongdoing and their payment was only to the Nigerian Government.
What they didn’t count on was their dealings being investigated and exposed by journalists and campaigners like Global Witness and our partners.
From an oil field off the Nigerian coast via Abuja and London to a courtroom in Italy, see how we and our partners tracked down the truth and campaigned for justice. Find out what this deal, whose terms were set to deprive the Nigerian people of an estimated $6 billion, tells us about the flaws in our global economic system. See how we can fix it, and ensure the powerful are held to account.
- Date: Friday 3 April 2020
- Time: 4pm BST
- Format: 1 hour panel discussion followed by a Q&A
Register your place for the online tour via the Global Witness website
- Olanrewaju Suraju – Chair of the Nigerian NGO Human and Environmental Development Agenda (HEDA)
- Barnaby Pace – Oil and gas campaigner, Global Witness
- Antonio Tricarico – Director, Re:Common
- Ava Lee – Anti-corruption campaigner, Global Witness
- Rachel Owens – Head of EU Advocacy, Global Witness
- Chaired by: Mike Davis, CEO, Global Witness
This event is part of the virtual Skoll World Forum 2020. See the full agenda here
|Start||Friday 3 Apr 2020 4:00pm|
|Finish||Friday 3 Apr 2020 5:30pm|
|Organised by||Global Witness|