Webinar – Enforcing the Habitats Directive in national courts (Client Earth)
This webinar provides an overview of the legal framework that applies to individuals and NGOs seeking to enforce the Habitats Directive in national courts. It is organised by ClientEarth with funding from the European Commission Life Programme and is intended for public interest lawyers, judges, public authorities and NGOs.
Presenters: Anne Friel, Environmental Democracy lawyer, ClientEarth
Soledad Gallego, Wildlife lawyer, ClientEarth
1. Introduction to the legal framework on access to justice in the context of the Habitats Directive (20 minutes)
• Brief introduction to the access to justice obligations in the Aarhus Convention and their implementation in EU law with regard to the Habitats Directive;
• Discussion of main case law regarding access to justice and the Habitats Directive.
2. Case study on SEO/Birdlife challenge to the open pit mine project in the Zilbeti Forest, Spain (40 minutes)
• Insights into the practical implications of challenging permits on the basis of the Habitats Directive, including possible interactions with other EU procedures.
3. Questions from participants
|Start||Thursday 4 Jun 2020 10:00am|
|Finish||Thursday 4 Jun 2020 11:30am|
|Organised by||Client Earth|