What’s COP and why does it matter? (Friends of the Earth)
Join this webinar to find out about the UN Climate Talks – otherwise known as COP – and why they’re important. During the session you’ll hear about what happens at the talks and how we, as a movement, can use them to demand climate justice.
We’ll also talk to you about how Friends of the Earth will be using COP to get the UK government to stick to their pledge to reduce emissions by over two thirds by 2030.
About the webinar
COP, the UN climate summit and the climate talks are all names used to describe the same thing: an annual conference of nations hosted by the UN. This year they will be held in the UAE from 30 November until 12 December.
The talks are a key moment for us as a movement to demand climate justice from governments across the world. At the webinar you’ll hear from Friends of the Earth’s International Climate Campaigner, Rachel Kennerley, about what happens during COP and what we’ll be calling for as an international climate movement. You’ll also have a chance to hear about some exciting ways you can get involved in campaigning around COP, including a Global Day of Action on Saturday 9 December.
We’ll also be joined by Danny Gross, Climate Campaigner at Friends of the Earth, who will be talking to us about our new campaign to get the UK government to stick to their pledge to reduce emissions by over two thirds by 2030, and for the next government to write a new climate plan that is both fair and comprehensive, enabling the UK to meet its international commitment. During the webinar you’ll have a chance to ask Danny about the new campaign and share your ideas for how we can make it as impactful as possible.
Register your (free) place via Eventbrite
Who is this training/course for?
- Friends of the Earth local action groups.
- Any community groups with an interest in climate justice campaigning.
- Individuals with an interest in climate justice campaigning.
- Learn from our resident COP expert about what really happens inside the UN Climate Talks.
- Hear from Friends of the Earth Campaigners about how we can have maximum impact as a climate justice movement during COP.
- Find out how your group can get involved in demanding international climate justice.
- Help shape Friends of the Earth’s campaign to get the UK government to stick to it’s climate targets.
- Rachel Kennerley, International Climate Campaigner (Friends of the Earth)
- Danny Gross, Climate Campaigner (Friends of the Earth)
- Rose Taylor, Senior Campaign Activism Advisor (Friends of the Earth)
During this webinar we will use Zoom, Powerpoint and breakout rooms.
In addition we have the follow processes in place to support accessibility
- Closed Captions on zoom.
- If you require a palantypist or a BSL interpreter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks before the training and we will aim to book an expert this service. If there are no available palantypists or BSL interpreters, we will work with you to do whatever we can to support your engagement in the training.
- All PowerPoint presentations have ALT text for images and pictures.
- PowerPoints and handouts will be emailed prior to training for use with screen readers.
- We welcome carers and support workers to attend training alongside any participants. Please let us know when registering so we can ensure that you are paired in any breakout rooms etc.
Please let us know via the booking form if you have any other accessibility requirements or alternatively you can email us on email@example.com to talk to us about it.
Recording: We will record this event, so even if you can’t attend, you can register to receive this shortly after.
|Thursday 23 Nov 2023 7:00pm
|Thursday 23 Nov 2023 8:15pm
|Friends of the Earth