Manchester Friends of the Earth is fuelled by volunteer energy.
By getting involved in the group, you become part of a wider movement in which more and more people are seeing the need for change and taking action to make it happen.
Local campaigners actively shape their city for the better. Effective campaigning can challenge the unsustainable use of the world’s resources, give people opportunities to make positive changes, and reduce unjust impacts on communities now and in the future.
Campaigning is fun, sociable and rewarding. It’s also a great way to meet people, learn new skills and make a contribution to society.
How can I get involved?
You are very welcome to come along to one of our meetings to find out more about what we do, or simply get in contact. Our Open meetings are good for finding out about our activities generally, and specific campaign meetings are a good starting point if you know what you’re interested in campaigning on.
Our meetings are shown on our events calendar. All the meetings on our calendar are open to all. You do not need to be a member.
Manchester Friends of the Earth is fuelled by volunteer energy. Find out about current volunteering opportunities – just a few tasks on our collective to do list. Perhaps you’d be interested in helping with one of these? If you do, please just get in touch!
What do campaigners do?
Just some of the things that our active campaigners do:
- Helping out at events, talking to members of the public about environmental issues
- Writing material for this website
- Meeting Members of Parliament (MPs) to encourage them to support local and national campaigns
- Organising events, including gigs, film screenings and public debates
- Planning and running campaigns
- Researching and writing responses to local consultations (e.g. Manchester’s climate change policy)
- Representing the group at consultation events
Some members take on positions, such as coordinator, treasurer, membership officer or lead campaigners and we are always keen to hear from people who would like to join us in these roles. Support and training provided!
If you’re interested in this, please have a look at the role descriptions and get in touch.
What can you expect when volunteering with us?
Our events are listed on our calendar. Once a month we hold a new persons’ session where you can find out more about the group and how you can get involved.
There are also opportunities during the month to join us in our office to work on campaigns (see our website calendar for dates) and other admin tasks that need attention.. ordering stock and preparing for stalls.. for example. And if you would prefer to support our work from home, there are plenty of online actions on offer! These are listed on this website or please email and ask.
Each campaign has a separate meeting once to twice a month, which focuses on current issues and activities relating to that campaign. We might plan an event, discuss how to respond to a consultation, or co-ordinate MP lobbying. All our meetings are fairly relaxed and we make sure we have tea, coffee and snacks to hand. The meetings are chaired to make sure that everyone can input. After our meetings we usually go to a nearby pub to talk more informally.
We also have social events throughout the year- films, dinners, walks..
For more information about our campaigns, please contact:
- New Persons’ meetings – Cat Thomson – cat[at]manchesterfoe.org.uk
- Nature campaign – Cat – cat[at]manchesterfoe.org.uk
- Climate campaign – Ali Abbas – ali[at]manchesterfoe.org.uk
- Waste campaign – Seb – seb[at]manchesterfoe.uk
- Air quality – Pete Abel – pete[at]manchesterfoe.org.uk
- Transport campaign – Pete Abel – pete[at]manchesterfoe.org.uk
- Fossil- free/ divestment campaign- Chris Smith – fossilfreegm[at]gmail.com