Meat Free May – Leek and Potato Soup
- 1 lb. leeks
- 1 lb. potatoes (or more if desired)
- 1 tablesp. sunflower or vegetable oil
- Stock: 4 teasp. Swiss Vegetable Vegan Bouillon to each 0.56litres (1 pint) boiling water
- salt and pepper
. . . or for non-vegan version . . .
- 14 g butter or margarine (instead of the oil)
- 4 teasp. Swiss Vegetable Bouillon to each 0.56litres (1 pint) boiling water (for non-vegan stock)
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) milk (optional)
- 70 ml cream (optional)
- Thoroughly wash and then chop leeks into 1 – 2cm lengths.
- Put the oil (or fat) in a deep pan, add the chopped leeks and cook over gentle heat for 10 minutes. Keep the lid on the pan and shake it vigorously from time to time.
- Peel and chop potatoes into 2cm chunks.
- Add potatoes and stock to cover (or fill pan if desired).
- Bring pan to boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Using a ladle or large spoon remove between a tenth and a sixth of the soup (incl. leeks and potatoes) and either blitz in a food processor or mash through a sieve using the back of a spoon.
- Return this to the pan and stir in to thicken the soup.
- Cook for a few minutes more to ensure fully heated through.
- Season to taste
- Suggest serving with rustic granary bread.