UYL Bread Pudding
A tasty way to use up stale bread . . .
- 230g (8 oz.) stale bread
- 115g (4 oz.) currants, raisins or sultanas
- 57g (2 oz.) brown sugar
- 57g (2 oz.) finely chopped vegetable suet (or for non vegan version… beef or mutton suet)
- 28g (1 oz.) chopped peel (optional)
- 1/2 teasp. mixed spice
- 1 teasp NoEgg natural egg replacer (or for non vegan version… 1 egg)
- Break the stale bread into small pieces and soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain and squeeze the wet bread mixture until as dry as possible.
- Add the dried fruit, sugar, suet, peel (optional), mixed spice and NoEgg (or the egg).
- Mix well.
- The mixture should now drop easily from the spoon. (If not add a little milk or water).
- Put into a greased tin.
- Bake in a warm oven (170 degrees C, Gas mark 3) for about an hour.
- When done, turn out on to a hot dish.
- Dredge with sugar.
- Allow to cool and eat cold, or serve immediately with custard.