UYL Emergency Breakfast Rolls
- 500g Strong White Flour
- 7g sachet yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 pint warm water
- 4 tbsp virgin olive oil (or for non vegan version… 28g (1 tbsp) of butter, margarine or lard)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Put the sugar in a jug and pour on 1/4 pint boiling water, add 1/4 pint cold water to achieve 1/2 pint warm water. Add the yeast and stir. Leave to activate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a food processor or mixer, with a dough hook attachment, (or a large bowl if you don’t have one) add the flour, salt, olive oil and mix briefly. Gradually add the (now frothy) yeast mixture while mixing until you achieve a dough that holds together and does not stick to the side. Run the food processor/mixer for several minutes to mechanically knead the dough. (If mixing by hand, do this on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.)
- Mould into 4, 6 or 8 rolls and place on a greased baking tray.
- Leave to prove until doubled in size again. If you have a modern oven, you may be able to set the temperature to just under 50 degrees C to use for this prove. This will take between 30 and 45 minutes. When ready to bake increase your oven temperature to 220 degrees C / gas mark 7.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. When you tap the base of the rolls they should sound hollow. Cool on a wire rack.