UYL Granary Bread Loaf
- 500g Hovis Granary Bread Flour
- 7g sachet yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 pint warm water
- 4 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- Put the sugar in a jug and pour on 1/4 pint boiling water, add 1/4 pint cold water to achieve 1/2 pint warm water. Add the yeast and stir. Leave to activate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a food processor or mixer, with a dough hook attachment, (or a large bowl if you don’t have one) add the flour, salt, olive oil and mix briefly. Gradually add the (now frothy) yeast mixture while mixing until you acheive a dough that holds together and does not stick to the side. Run the food processor/mixer for several minutes to mechanically knead the dough. (If mixing by hand, do this on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.)
- Shape the dough. Place in a 2lb tin or on a baking tray.
- Cover with a clean, damp tea towel (this stops the dough drying out) and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 – 2 hours).
- Uncover and bake in an oven, preheated to 230 degrees C (gas mark 8) for 30 – 35 minutes. (The baked loaf should sound hollow when tapped underneath).
- Take the loaf (out of the tin) and cool on a wire rack.