UYL Sourdough Bread Loaf
- 500g Strong White Flour
- 340ml warm water
- Sourdough starter
- When you are ready to make your sourdough loaf, take the starter out of the fridge the day before you need it.
- Pour out a cupful of the Sourdough starter (150g) into a food processor or mixer bowl. Add 1 cupful of strong white flour and 1 cupful of warm water to produce a batter. Mix briefly (to ensure no lumps).
- Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place (e.g. airing cupboard) for an hour or so. Bubbles should appear on the surface of the batter.
- Pour off 1 cupful of the batter and add (return) this to your sourdough starter (in the kilner jar).
- Add the flour to the batter in the food processor (or mixer) with dough hook and gradually add the warm water until you acheive a dough that holds together and does not stick to the side. Run the food processor/mixer for several minutes to mechanically knead the dough. (If mixing by hand, do this on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.)
- Shape the dough. Place in a 2lb tin or on a baking tray.
- Cover with a clean, damp tea towel (this stops the dough drying out) and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 – 2 hours).
- Uncover and bake in an oven, preheated to 230 degrees C (gas mark 8) for 30 – 35 minutes. (The baked loaf should sound hollow when tapped underneath).
- Take the loaf (out of the tin) and cool on a wire rack.