UYL Sourdough Chocolate Bread
A very tasty sourdough bread, ideal for those in need of a chocolate fix.
- 300g Sourdough starter
- 300g Strong White Flour
- 100g Very Strong Wholemeal Flour
- 160g warm water
- 40g Cocoa powder
- 15g Honey
- 50g Dark chocolate drops (or 100g if you are a chocoholic)
- When you are ready to make your chocolate sourdough loaf, take the starter out of the fridge the day before you need it.
- Pour out a cupful of the Sourdough starter (300g) into a food processor or mixer bowl. Put the chocolate drops to one side. Add the other ingredients and mix for several minutes (or hand kneading for 10 minutes).
- Mix in the chocolate drops carefully last.
- Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place (e.g. warm kitchen or airing cupboard) for about four hours or so. The dough should have doubled in size.
- Tip out onto a baking tray or baking stone with minimal shaping using a wet plastic spatula.
- Dust with flour and mark with a sharp knife.
- Bake in an oven, preheated to 230 degrees C (gas mark 8) for 15 minutes, then turn and reduce heat to 200 degrees C for 15 minutes. Leave for a further 10 minutes with the heat turned off.
- Take out the loaf and cool on a wire rack.
- When baking bread, place a small ovenproof dish or cup of water on the bottom shelf to raise oven humidity to aid crust formation.
- Serve slices of sourdough chocolate bread with cream, ice cream, or strawberries or just eat them on their own.